Friday, February 25, 2011

Florida State (Nothing Witty, just a University)


Unfortunately, I was unable to get a blog out yesterday because I was on the road for a show at SUNY Cobleskill in NY. I was also unable to take in the contest between our Philadelphia Phillies and the mighty Florida State Seminoles. I like that this game took place, because when else will some of these guys get this kind of opportunity. I mean let's be realistic. A lot of these players on the Phillies will never go back to college and this served as a great warm up for the Noles.

So apparently, the Phils 4 hit Florida State, and won 8-0. I know the Phillies are at the next level, but if I were the Florida State Athletics Director, I would reevaluate some of the scholarships I was given out. Tyler Everett was the starting pitcher for Florida, and gave up 4 runs and 5 hits in the 1st inning. It was probably a very valuable learning experience for the lad. I know that when I dominate my son at a sport, he only cries for a few hours.

Chase Utley was held out of yesterday's game and maybe the rest of the weekend, because he is experiencing soreness. Charlie Manuel, says that he has soreness, and will not play, but is NOT injured. This is a little confusing to me, but I'm not going to ask any more questions. I learned a valuable lesson as a lifeguard at a summer camp. When young girls seemed perfectly fine, but weren't swimming, you weren't supposed to ask why not, because you might get an answer that was awkward for everyone. I know he's not an adolescent girl, but I can only assume this could be the issue.

It seems like Dominic Brown will be in the mix to replace Jayson Werth in right field. Some people don't like this because he's a lefty and the batting line-up will be too left handed. As a southpaw myself, I am saddened that we haven't come far enough in society to be more accepting of this sort of thing. So what, his handwriting may not be great and according to studies he may be more prone to having Chrone's disease or dyslexia, but it's 2011. Let Dominic Brown join his left handed brothers and be the revolution. He helped that cause yesterday going 1 for 3 and playing 6 strong innings.

Seeing that I'm starting to be all over the place in this blog, it looks like the 3 hours of sleep I got last night are catching up. More to come tomorrow.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment